Congressional Gold Medal Events
We would like to thank our sponsors, CITGO and Sunoco, for their generous support for these events.
Everyone planning to attend either event must register.
Emancipation Hall at the U.S. Capitol
Wednesday, 10 December 2014
The Congress of the United States will send invitations to the Congressional Gold Medal Ceremony in Emancipation Hall at the U.S. Capitol. The event will be held at 3:00 p.m. Wednesday, 10 December. The room capacity is limited, so everyone will not be able to witness the ceremony in Emancipation Hall. CAP has requested Congress provide an overflow room where other attendees can watch the ceremony via closed circuit television. During the ceremony, CAP will be presented with a single Congressional Gold Medal for its WWII service. A bronze replica medal will be presented to each CAP WWII veteran, or one family member if veteran is deceased, during the Gala Dinner on Wednesday evening.
CAP Congressional Gold Medal Gala Dinner
Regency Ballroom at the Hyatt Regency Crystal City
Wednesday, 10 December 2014
No Host Reception begins at 6:30 p.m.
Seating begins at 7:00 p.m.
There will be a gala dinner celebration Wednesday evening for veterans, family members, CAP members and distinguished guests. Dinner will be provided at no cost for all CAP WWII veterans and one guest. The cost for all other guests and family members will be $25.00 per person.
Veterans, or one family member if veteran is deceased or cannot attend, will be presented with a bronze replica medal during this event.
There is assigned seating at the dinner and your table assignment will be on your dinner ticket. Please bring your dinner ticket with you to the event.
Hyatt Regency Crystal City
Registration for attendees will be located at the Hyatt Regency Crystal City. Please stop by the registration desk to pick up your name tag, schedule and dinner seat assignment. Unfortunately, the Hyatt Regency Crystal City is sold out of hotel rooms, but there are rooms available at two nearby hotels.
2650 Jefferson Davis Highway
Arlington, VA 22202
Rates currently online starting at $128
2899 Jefferson Davis Highway
Arlington, VA 22202
Rates currently online starting at $169
Note: Booking online will usually get you a cheaper rate.
Courtesy Hyatt Airport Shuttle
- Courtesy Hyatt Airport Shuttle picks up at A Terminal (2nd curb by the marked Hotel Shuttle stop location) and B & C Terminal arrivals, Door 5 and Door 9 (1st curb by the marked Hotel Shuttle stop location).
- Shuttle to Reagan National Airport (DCA) departs the hotel every 20 minutes on the hour from 4:40 am – midnight. (Times subject to change.)
Courtesy Holiday Inn Airport Shuttle
- Courtesy Shuttle to and from National Airport every half hour.
Courtesy Courtyard Marriott Airport Shuttle
- Airport Shuttle service, scheduled, complimentary. Shuttle Phone: 1-703-549-3434
- From Dulles Airport (IAD) to our Washington DC metro area hotel, cost is approximately $40 to $45.•
- From Baltimore Washington International Airport (BWI) to our Washington DC metro area hotel, cost is approximately $65 to $70.
Transportation to U.S. Capitol
Buses will begin loading at 12:30 p.m. on Clark Street, near the Hyatt Regency hotel entrance. CAP is unable to provide transportation to and from other hotels or locations. Buses will drop passengers off at Garfield Circle, near the U.S. Capitol. The walk from the buses to the Visitor Center entrance is two city blocks long, uphill and outdoors. Several small shuttles will be available to transport people who cannot make the walk.
Transportation from U.S. Capitol to Hyatt Regency
Buses will begin loading immediately following the Congressional Gold Medal Ceremony. The buses will be located at Garfield Circle (same as the drop-off location).
U.S. Capitol Visitor Policies
You must have a government issued photo ID (drivers license, military ID, passport, etc.) to access the ceremony at the Capitol.
All visitors are screened by a magnetometer and all items permitted in the building are screened by an x-ray device.
Prohibited items include:
- Liquid, including water
- Food or beverages of any kind, including fruit and unopened packaged food
- Aerosol containers
- Non-aerosol spray (Medical Prescriptions are permitted)
- Any pointed object, e.g. knitting needles and letter openers (Pens and pencils are permitted)
- Any bag larger than 18” wide x 14” high x 8.5” deep
- Electric Stun guns, martial arts weapons or devices
- Guns, replica guns, ammunition, and fireworks
- Knives of any size, Razors and Box Cutters
- Mace and pepper spray
No Flash Photography is allowed at the ceremony
Notify CAP staff if you have an oxygen tank or medical syringes. Be prepared to identify these to the Capitol Security Police.
Smoking is not permitted anywhere in the Capitol.
What to Wear (for all events)
Average temperatures in Washington D.C. in December range from 28–48 degrees. Weather forecast for Wednesday, 10 December is currently a low of 28 degrees and a high of 44 degrees. Please dress accordingly.
Men: Business attire e.g., coat and tie and slacks/trousers or CAP service dress uniform
Women: Business attire e.g., dresses, blouses and skirts, or pants suit or CAP service dress uniform
Note: Veterans may wear their WWII uniforms